Toxins in Cosmetics? !!!
Do you know what's in that cream you are slathering all over your body?
We really need to read labels and see what the ingredients are in anything that goes on our body because it all gets absorbed by our body's largest organ...our skin.
Recent studies have shown that we may actually acquire more toxins through skin absorption and inhalation than through the foods that we eat. Because the skin is the largest organ in the body, this is a substantial surface area through which toxic chemical migration may occur. When you rub chemicals on your skin, they can pass straight through and enter your bloodstream within minutes. Think about how nicotine and birth control patches work. Personal care products should be as pure as the foods we eat.
How do we know if these products are "natural" and "organic" as they may claim to be? Well, we have to do some research. Did you know that the FDA will allow "organic" labeling if only 70% of the ingredients are truly organic. What's in the other 30%?... Could be anything... and could be harmful.
I'm going to save you some time and give you the fruits of my research.
HARMFUL SUBSTANCES IN COSMETICS
- Collagen: insoluble fibrous protein that is too large a molecule to penetrate skin. It's found in most skin care products and is derived from animal skins and ground -up chicken feet.
- Glycerin: found in a vast majority of skin care, hair care, and other products marketed as "moisturizing" , "hydrating", or "replenishing". In fact glycerin draws moisture from the lower layers of the skin and holds it on the surface therefore drying the skin from the inside out.
- Propylene Glycol: cosmetic form of mineral oil found in brake fluid and industrial antifreeze. In the skin it causes retention of moisture content. It has been known to cause liver and kidney damage.
- Benzophenone: known to increase harmful free radicals and believed to be a contributing factor in the recent rise of Melanoma.
- Parabens: toxic substances that are among the most common in synthetic cosmetic preservatives.
- Fragrance: most fragrances and perfumes are synthetic petroleum by-products even the ones that claim to be "natural".
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) , Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) : detergents which pose serious health threats. SLS may damage the skin's immune system by causing layers to separate and inflame.
- Phenoxethanol: a preservative that has been known to kill rats. It's no longer used in organic products where it was once favored. It has to be used in such high amounts that it becomes very toxic. If used at lower levels it becomes unstable and breaks down making the product rancid and carcinogenic.
- Mineral oil: a known carcinogen and also clogs the pores. It prohibits the skin's ability to eliminate toxins promoting acne and other disorders. The use of this promotes premature aging of the skin.
- Grapefruit Seed Extract: contains cyanide and is not safe to use as a preservative as are many fruit seed families.
There you have it folks. Get out your cosmetics and read the labels. Unfortunately this is not a complete list of harmful ingredients but if any of these substances are in your cosmetics...throw them out.